History of Wattle Park
Wattle Park was the place of the Wurundjeri people before becoming farmland as suburban Melbourne was formed. In December 1915 the land was sold to the Hawthorn Tramways Trust to be used as public parkland. The parkland was officially opened on 31st March 1917 and by 1926 more than 5000 wattles had been planted around the perimeter of the park.
A cricket ground was created in 1927, followed closely by a nine hole golf course and two asphalt tennis courts which were added in the early 1930s. Cable cars were moved to the park to provide shelter and these cars were later replaced by W-class trams. The Park has two attractive playgrounds.
The Chalet was built in 1928 and quickly became a popular venue for birthdays, weddings and the like. Over the years, the park has hosted many joyous events like the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Band concert, picnics and various family and group outings. Field Naturalists were also attracted to the park’s vegetation and documented many of the park’s native species.
Anzac Day ceremonies are conducted each year opposite the Chalet where a seed from Lone Pine, Gallipoli was planted after WWI. A memorial clock was also built three years after to honour the son of Mrs Zilpah Bennet.
The park is now maintained by Parks Victoria and was declared a National Heritage site after the Heritage Conservation Plan commissioned in 1993.